This page is for sharing information regarding job searching in audio/media production and post-production.
Putting together a great application package is key. Here are some tips for making an attractive package:
- Use high quality paper (Ex: Cotton #32)
- Use white colored paper (Note: Make this a well thought out choice. Other colors may be appropriate as well)
- Have your documents typed out with professional and readable text
- Use printed mailing labels
- Avoid packaging that requires folding.
- Use proper business style for both the cover letter and resume
- Save creative designs for your portfolio
A document sent with your resume to provide additional information on your skills and experience, as well as your interest within the company.
- Customize your cover letter to the specific job or studio position
- Directly address the points raised in the job description
- Style guide and samples: Cover Letters
A brief account of one's professional or work experience and qualifications
Letter of Recommendation
A letter sent on the behalf of a candidate for a residency, job or other position.
- Letters from 2 or 3 sources
- Educational or professional acquaintances
A set of pieces of creative work collected by someone to display their skills, esp. to a potential employer.
- Be informative & creative!
- Consider using DVD or a website to present media.
- Create a written binder with written explanations about your media
- Keep organized and clean
- Include a backup DVD
- Reference any figures/images (Do not throw in random pictures)
- Consider unique binding methods
- Choose only your best work
- Don't be afraid to invest some time and money, it will be well worth it.
The majority of available jobs aren't advertized, so a great option is to make cold contacts with studios and production/post companies. Many companies only post opportunities on their personal websites, so be sure and look into specific studios of interest!
Don't forget: Theme Parks, Museums, Gaming Companies, HR or Marketing. Departments of just about any company!
Recording Studios and Production/Post Companies
- Mix Magazine Master Directory, USITT directory, and others are shelved in the CAML
- Recording studios: Milk Records
- Recording studios: Taxi
- Recording studios/equipment manufacturers: Studio Menu
- Post Production: Production Hub
- Post Production: TVA Productions
- Film Production: Movie and Video Studios and Production Companies
Engineering and Technical Jobs
Additional Job Posting Sites
- Musicjobs US
- Entertainment Careers
- Dice - IT/CS jobs
- Backstage Jobs
- NewBay Media
- ArtSearch (requires $40 subscription-talk to faculty)
Who owns Digidesign, M-Audio, Pinnacle and others, has all of their hiring on one site.
- Avid - Once there, select the company you wish to see under "Candidate" on the drop down list